Update on status

Coordinator
Apr 20, 2012 at 2:53 AM

If anyone is wondering why there have been no commits in awhile. I've been working on converting the project to VS2010 so that I can integrate more of the SharpDevelop suite (primarily AvalonDock). Took a bit of trial and error to figure out how to keep the XNA 3.1 game working inside of the application without forking it out to it's own process.

Very satisfied with the results, stability is so good now that I've added tabbed documents, and a a pane which is similar to Visual Studio's Solution Explorer to make managing multiple effects at a time practical. Just finishing up with the new pane, which is where the effect state (sampler states, parameter values, etc) will be set from.

Have also made progress toward loading content projects into the editor (for 3d model support and the like), but that's still kinda sketchy and is not a priority at the moment. If anyone has any tips on ensuring that "cachefile--targetpath.txt" gets generated after every content build (via msbuild), I'd appreciate it, that's the file that's giving me trouble in regards to content projects (sometimes it's there, other times it's not, and it's as far as I can tell the only way to know for certain what files were generated by the build process).

Coordinator
Apr 21, 2012 at 12:35 AM

The new version mentioned above is now in the repository.

Coordinator
May 4, 2012 at 2:48 AM
Edited May 4, 2012 at 2:50 AM

Almost have the new commit ready. Not much added as I took a bit of a break from coding for a bit over a week to play through a game I bought awhile back but only played for a couple hours after buying it, and to clear my head since I was working myself in circles with all my code projects.

The next commit will have include files added to the tree view on the Effect panel, with the ability to open and modify their contents while keeping with the continuous rebuild. Just working out a caching mechanism for include files loaded from disk so that it only loads them once, and saves the relevant ones upon saving the effect files. In the current download version it's loading include files from disk every time an effect is recompiled, which is a real performance killer with the big include files some of us use to stash all our commonly used functions/parameters.

Also working out functions to build a hierarchy based on the scoping rules HLSL implements, which is part of what's holding up auto-complete (wouldn't want variables that aren't available due to scope or tense appearing in the list, too sloppy for my standards).

Coordinator
May 23, 2012 at 7:08 AM

Spent around 6 hours today (maybe more) just using the program and fixing bugs as I encountered them. Managed to develop my won anti-aliasing technique I'm going to coin as YAAAA (Yet Another Anti-Aliasing Algorithm). Will probably write a paper about it eventually as it's a really neat method that works only on the final image and doesn't suffer the typical blurring artifacts, not even all that heavy of an algorithm either.

Next update will come in a couple days, just need to clean up all the mess I made while fixing bugs. Fixed 10 or so crash bugs. Fixed bugs which caused certain features to stop working entirely. Finally patched in the Remove functions for include files. Fixed the sampler configuration which I totally forgot to move the code around to allow switching off from sampler 0. Added mouse input to the parameter passing. And a lots more that just isn't coming to mind right now.

Development will continue to be slow, I'm spending a lot of time refreshing my C++ knowledge/skills which have rotted away due to years of non-use. Have seen so many great game development career opportunities pass me by as I stubbornly clung to C#. Will try to stick with the once a month routine I've fallen into.